on 14 April 2012
I bought this in a shop for about £20 and was very surprised by how good it was. Both in terms of quality and speed. I thought for such a cheap printer, it was great. Unfortunately I mistook their business model. The ink cartridge I got with the printer has now run out and trying to buy a replacement, the cheapest I can find around here is £25. Yes - a small plastic box with 30ml of ink costs more than 25% more than the entire printer itself. Amazon do cheaper ones online but they're still expensive. A bit of research *suggests* that I can get about 400 pages of pure B&W from a cartridge, standard text only, double-spaced. I don't know if that's true or not, but could be about right.

I used to be able to get cheap compatible cartridges for my last inkjet (an Epson) but I have been unable to find any for this.

I had to think about whether it was fair to mark this printer down because of the ink, but essentially the printer and the ink are part of the same cycle. You can't buy this printer without buying into this model and to rate this printer highly is to just assist the trap that Canon have made here. Most printer makers do this, but previously I've been able to find loopholes.

IF you can find compatible ink for cheaper, or can fill the empties yourself perhaps, then this is a great printer. If not, think very long about how much it will cost to run.
66 Comments| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?