on 28 April 2008
This book is scarily accurate. Scary, in that it reminds me of my house officer days, and scary in that it reveals to the layman (and woman) the enormous naivety of the junior doctor on the first few days and weeks at work. However, this is not something to be hidden, and the author is to be commended for his brutal honesty. (For the record, we're not related, and I've never heard of him before, let alone met him!)

I'm not sure if this will appeal more to fellow doctors, who will remember everything Dr Pemberton all-too-well recalls, and laugh and cry at it, or to members of the public, who will see behind the eyes of the terrified junior doctor, facing disease, expectation and impossibility all at once.

I'm not sure what is meant by the contributor who thought House of God more representative of the NHS. For one, House of God is a much older book. Two, it is set in the USA. Three, it is a satire, whereas this, I promise you, is as real as life (and death) gets.

Buy it for your doctor friend, and he or she will thank you. Then borrow it.
10 people found this helpful