on 28 February 2006
In many respects I've done things backwards - I watched series 1 before I realised this extended preamble existed. A shame really, as the series felt incomplete to me until I had enjoyed its premise. All the character issues, plot lines etc of the series find their origin here and while series 1 is by no means confusing, this introduction is far more satisfing than encountering the new Galactica already on the run.
Overall a satisfying, even if not too demanding, sci-fi drama that is well paced, well put together and keeps the viewer interested. Not overly weighed down in homage to the original Battlestar series, I think it manages a nice balance between breaking new ground and retaining some of the better aspects of the old series. ( I for one was delighted not to have to face the antics of the cyber doggie moffet?muppet? once again.
For sci-fi fans this is a credible addition to your collection and for casual interest you can do a lot worse than spend a few pounds for a good few hours viewing pleasure. Only drops a star because...we'll maybe I'm slightly mean...and because it's simply not one I feel I'll watch over and over again on evenings when I'm bored with the telly. That of course is a matter of personal taste. A good effort.
13 people found this helpful