on 8 November 2011
I too am of the opinion this is a great LP!

The cast is impressive and there isn't anyone on bad form. Turrentine and Hubbard turn in quite fine performances.

Taking the LPs 6 original tracks, Chilli Peppers is jazzy and upbeat, Los Malos Hombres is a Basie-esque blues, and the remainder of the tracks are generally chilled. The tunes are all Pearson originals and the album flows nicely from start to finish.

The criticisms of Duke Pearson himself in the 3 star review aren't something I can agree with.

If I was being hyper critical I'd personally say that "My Love Waits" isn't the best delivered piece on the LP, but it would neither be fair or true to call it poor.

If it was possible I'd probably give this LP 4.5 stars, but I can't. Seeing as another reviewer has given it an evaluated 3, I'll give it 5 for balance!
2 people found this helpful