on 6 January 2005
This is my first 'proper' digital camera, which I bought after having great fun with a tiny 'point and shoot' model. So far it has more than fulfilled all the promise of the various excellent reviews it was given in a number of camera magazines (which we can all read for free on the magazine racks of any supermarket).
It works faultlessly in automatic mode, which is perfect for my wife, who simply wants it for snapshots. But there are also a multitude of other settings for experimentation and more serious photography. The results have been excellent, even when printed out on my cheap computer printer and - as a relative newcomer - I am still charmed by my ability to delete all those awful shots that I used to have to pay to get developed and printed. The 4MP means that I am even getting good quality A4 prints.
In fact, there is enough power and variety in the technology to keep me interested and challenged for many a year I suspect. The most fun for me at present is the facility to 'stitch' photographs together - truly the nearest thing to adult Lego that I could imagine!
Are there any drawbacks? It is not beautiful to look at - but is wonderful to hold. It is very much designed for a right-handed person - but maybe all cameras are. I wish there was a more detailed battery level indicator so that one could use a little forethought when changing the batteries. [Batteries never go flat when you are taking a single photograph of something dull - only when it matters!] The screen is sometimes hard to see in bright light - but I was prepared for that.
If you do buy it, make sure you order it with a massive spare memory, couple of sets of rechargeable batteries and a charger - allow at least £40 on top of the basic price for this.
When I bought my camera I found a site selling it about £20 cheaper than Amazon - but with a free case, great prices on the memory, batteries and photo paper, and free delivery, Amazon still came out best.
0Comment| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.