To give you a quick brief overview: this book by chef James Mackenzie is full of 74 tasty and doable recipes for a competent home chef.

I have owned this book for 12 months and frequently cook from it time and time again. It is especially good if you're wanting to entertain and do a something that's a little bit special.

If you like the Pipe and Glass Inn (James's restaurant) and like to cook, you will certainly love this book.

Now for a little more detail should you want it:

We are very fortunate to live close to James Mackenzie's restaurant, so when we heard he was releasing a cookbook we were very excited and did not hesitate to purchase a copy when it was released.

12 months on we really do owe it a review as it is one of our favourites for both inspiration as well as cooking from.

Firstly the feel of the book is lovely, the cover is a thick black, almost rubber like texture, which gives the book a nice quality feel.

The layout of the book is excellent and easy to follow with 8 main recipe sections:

Cow
Pig
Sheep
Fish
Shellfish
Poultry & Game
Veg Patch
Afters

At the back of the book is also a section simply titled "The Pipe and Glass Inn" which is a wonderful montage of images of the restaurant, again another reason this is a lovely keepsake / present for those that like eating here as we do.

The pictures throughout the book very good (I have uploaded a couple of images of my favourites) which all adds to the pleasure of reading it and cooking from it.

Each of the sections has an introduction where James either passes on a couple of tips relevant to that section and or tells a story relating to the food they serve in the restaurant or the producers where he source's his ingredients, again nice context for fans of the Pipe and Glass with some nice to know tips.

Putting the book into practice it doesn't disappoint. The recipes we have done from it have been an absolute success and all ingredients used are readily available - no fails as of yet.

The only challenge I have encountered was with the Venison Suet Pudding, I was struggling to get the suet to crisp up (on my second attempt I still had something of a dumpling instead of the crispy suet that I wanted). However on my third attempt I took it out of the dariole mould to finish it in the oven and found this worked a treat. This was my only issue with all of the recipes we have tried.

If you only cook one recipe from the book can I recommend Apple Three Ways, it is absolutely fantastic (unless you don't like Apples).

All in all if you, like me, love cooking, then this is a book you will certainly enjoy and get a lot of use from. If you also enjoy eating at the Pipe and Glass, it's a book you will adore whether you cook from it or not.
0Comment| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.

Product Details