on 29 March 2010
This CD is a real gem. Sometimes moody and melancholic (track 2: o amar desher mati) at other times light and uplifting (track 1: aurora). I find something new and astonishing with every listen (and I've listened lots!).
I hadn't heard of Arun Ghosh until I heard a track from this CD on late night radio. I recognised the sound, the superb musicianship, and the beguiling Indian touches, as I was already familiar with the wonderful clarinet player Idris Rahman whom I have seen with his sister Zoe a couple of times. And here he is again, on Arun Ghosh's Northern Namaste. These young British/Indian musicians are really worth keeping an eye on - great stuff. More please!
(... and, coming from Manchester, how could I resist a track titled Longsight Lagoon?)
What's this?