4.0 out of 5 stars Scary stuff, 2 Feb. 2014
This review is from: DEAD GONE (Kindle Edition)
I was desperate to read this book as it had been recommended to me back in December and as it's based in Liverpool, my second favourite city in England, started it with relish.

The plot doesn't need to be gone over as this has been covered many times by other reviewers except to say that there the disappearance of Jemma Barnes at the start of the book had me hooked and was terrifying in the extreme. A female body is found soon after her kidnapping (albeit her family think Jemma has just up and left, as she has done a few times in the past, and have no idea of the terror she is experiencing or danger she is in) but this turns out to someone else and from a note found on the body this one is is 'Experiment Three'. The scary stuff starts there as we have no idea who or what experiments One and Two are.

The hero is one DI David Murphy (known as Murphy) and his DS, Laura Rossi. At this point I have to say I could never take to Murphy who is battling with his own demons from the past year and misses lots of vital clues especially in the early days, ie I thought they would immediately start investigating the previous two experiments, and Murphy comes across as being not really with it, in my opinion. Rossi seems to be more on the ball and I really took to her from the outset; she's a really good DS and I did feel at times that she should be leading the investigation.

Murphy spends more time involved in his own private hell, his parents having been murdered a year before at the same time as the breakdown of his marriage to Sarah.Also a case had gone dramatically wrong and he's trying to prove himself to his DCI that he is ready for his first murder investigation since then.

I was absolutely convinced I knew who the killer was but then my opinion kept changing and I didn't know who it could be! Then I went back to my original suspect! It's all absolutely terrifying and I stayed up into the wee small hours this morning to finish it. My heart was absolutely thumping for the last quarter and I was quite breathless with it all.

The pace never let's up but is slightly let down by Police who don't seem to be thoroughly investigating matters. At the outset Murphy discounts the letters left with the bodies and I am not sure his instinct would have made him discount these from so very early on.

One thing that slightly bothered me was the reference to a victim by the name of Julie Ward but this name is never mentioned before or after so I'm not sure about that one.

All in all this is a fantastic debut thriller and the references to Liverpool along the way are just great as I love the Albert Dock and could visualise the area.

This is the start of big things for Luca Veste as this is brilliantly written and I cannot wait for his next book. Hopefully Murphy will come back bigger and better in the next and he will become my new hero!

Highly recommended, very addictive but be warned it's absolutely terrifying and you won't be able to put it down until the final page.

9/10