11 of 14 people found the following review helpful
Guess Who's Back?,
This review is from: Rebirth (Audio CD)
"Rebirth" means that you are born again; gives a second chance to regain what previously thought to be lost. In this case, Jennifer is born again after the not so succesful "This Is Me...Then (2002)" which only sold 2.5 million. Rebirth definetly is her best album (as of now). "Get Right" her first single which debuted #1 in UK and only peaked #13 at the U.S Billboard Hot 100 definetly has heavy James Brown influence. Long time producer Cory Rooney, and Rodney Jerkins ("If You Had My Love"), Big Boi (From Outkast), Rich Harrison, Timbaland and her husband Marc Anthony are some producers of the album.
1. Get Right (8/10)- This song has been released 3 times; Original Version, With Rap Version and the Horns Down Remix (which unfortunately is not on the album). Produced by Rich Harrison, the beat of this track is originally for Usher's "Ride" but It didn't make the album. Jen loved it, Rich Harrison gave it to her. The song is basically a party/ club song and the horns are very repetive in this song which some people find annoying and some love it.
2. Step Into My World (10/10)- This is a very single material, she should release this as her 3rd single or so. Great production by Rodney Jerkins, this song has arabic beats to it, very seductive vocals. One of my favourites!
3. Hold You Down (9/10)- The first time I heard this, I didn't like it. It definetly grew on me. It basically talks about Jennifer and Fat Joe's friendship. It has the same feel to "All I Have".
4. Whatever You Wanna Do (7/10)- My least favourite song. Her vocals do not go well with the beats. The 2nd Rich Harrison production which dissapoints me a bit. The song has a very 50's-60's feel to it. Pretty up-beat.
5. Cherry Pie (9/10)- Cheesy title, but a great ROCK song. Jen definetly pulled it off with this one. Probaby one of my favourites!
6. I Got You (8/10)- A darkchild production classic! great feel-good beats. The song talks about you and that special someone is what it all matters, as long as you have each other.
7. Still Around (7.5/10)- In my opinion, this song belongs to "This Is Me...Then" because it has the same feel as to "This Is Me...Then". It's basically a song about love. Produced by Big Boi which was a shock because he went to a different direction with this one. A very feel-good love song.
8. Ryde Or Die (8.5/10)- Originally a Brandy's song "If I (I'll Do Anything For You)" which was suppose to appear on "Afrodisiac" but was scrapped out and handed to Jen. The song has same lyrics and beats to Brandy's version. You can actually hear a very similar Brandy vocals on the chorus. This song is also a favourite of mines.
9. I, Love (10/10)- My favourite song! it is a mid-tempo song, but the chorus is really cute and catchy. It somewhat has a tropical beat to it. It basically talks about LOVE (as usual) I, LOVE this song so much. She definetly needs to release this.
10. He'll Be Back (7.5/10)- Rumored to be the 3rd single (I hope its not true) the song talks about how someone leaves you, but you know that the person will come back to you, after he realizes what he's missing. Produced by Timbaland.
11. (Can't Believe) This Is Me (9.5/10)- This song is very personal to Jen. Produced by her husband Marc Anothony, not really a single material, but I was amazed on Jen's performance in this song.
12. Get Right (Feat. Fabolous)- I was expecting the Horns Down Remix a.k.a Hip Hop Remix but, it was basically the original one with rap. Which sucks. An ok remix but I liked the original version.
Overall, this is probably the best Jennifer Lopez album. She has definetly imporved vocally. There is a song for you in this album. It is worth buying. Let's all hope she hits #1 on the album charts because "Rebirth" deserves it.