Learn more Download now Shop now Browse your favorite restaurants Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Learn more Learn more Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more

on 6 October 2010
I've not devoured a book as passionately as this in a very long time. As a big fan of both the books and the on-screen series this was absolutely compelling, even for a bit of a plodder when it comes to reading like myself.
As many people before me have highlighted it can be difficult to draw parallels between the portrayal of Jack on the telly and the Inspector in the book. Consequently when I picked up Night Frost I was in for a surprise at his coarseness so be prepared to be unprepared if you're hoping for David Jason's cheeky-chappy charm; I lent this to my mother who was appalled by his phallocentric remarks and its graphic descriptions so don't say you haven't been warned ;)

I do sometimes wonder how much Denton's population must decrease per census due to the abundance of murders and crimes Frost solves in this novel alone. As a result if you don't read it in quick successions, attempting to remember everything that has happened might become a bit overwhelming as the plot is very layered. However the plot hopefully won't be the only thing that is involved - as a reader I laughed (heartily!), grimaced, cocked an eyebrow at the apparent misogyny, pitied the hapless Taffy, and resented Mullet for the first time (and Skinner, much, much more) for the spineless treatment of Jack. And Drysdale the home office pathologist is as supercilious as ever.

I don't want to give away too much and I refrained from reading reviews before I had it first-hand myself, but A Killing Frost truly is the best of the 3 I've read so far. The only problem that I discovered was when upon attempting to find an address to stick on the letter I'd wrote imploring R.D. Wingfield to write more, is that he died 3 years ago, and it's very sad to know there will be no more in the series. I'll miss that irreverent man in the dirty old mac and I'll even miss the Superintendent and his obsessive moustache-smoothing
2 people found this helpful