on 8 January 2013
I purchased this book with high hopes that it would help me transition into a more paleo lifestyle. I'm a big carbs fan just now, so I needed something delicious and easy to help me make the changes I hope will help my health. There might be a book out there that will do that for me but this one isn't it.

The first section is a lengthy explanation of the scientific thought/nutritional theory behind the paleo approach to eating, as well as comprehensive lists of food you can eat. There's then an eating-out guide, which started to scare me a little - suggestions included taking my own coconut-based soy replacement to a chinese restaurant, quizzing waiters about whether anything in the meal was dusted with flour and ideal food for travelling as a pot of guacamole (clearly labelled) and a whole roast chicken. This all-or-nothing approach is admirable but demanding and not always realistic.

Fast forward to the meal plans, which were really what I bought the book for.... The meals can be summed up thus: cook some meat, eat half, eat the rest for breakfast, cook some more. I found the breakfast suggestions particularly challenging: if you don't get excited about the thought of mustard-glazed chicken thighs and raw sauerkraut for breakfast (over and over again) then this might not be for you. If a slab of garlic flank with onions is not what you can face first thing in the morning, perhaps look elsewhere for inspiration.

I'm sure if you have iron will and an endless appetite for meat, this book will be helpful for you. If you, like me, are looking for a painless transition into a more paleo way of eating, however, keep looking.
22 Comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?