on 28 October 2007
So I'm not a chillout expert, I own half of the ministry of sound chillout sessions, the Cafe Del Mar Best of and some Zero 7 stuff so I guess I'm new to this area but after reading Mr. Caine's article in a recent GQ I thought why not looks pretty cool.

I wasn't wrong theres some classics, remixed or left in their original state, and some tracks which I've never heard before. The tracks mix in fairly well with each other so the album gels pretty well into 1 flowing melody. And as he notes in the cover leaflet thing they all have some form of beat so can be used for different occasions; background, chilling out where ever, slow dancing etc.

There are from my view some stand out tracks; track 3 Silence is a remix to a classic which I'd not heard before, track 8 Sunshine's Better is just quality and track 14 Swollen is something that could actually send me to sleep (in a good way). My only gripe is that towards the end of the album, the genre changes a bit to old timey classics. This maybe a little harsh and completely down to my own personal tastes (I prefer the beats of new or remixed tracks) but that'd be why this is not a 5 star and instead a 4.

I really hope this is Michael's own input and that he has chosen the tracks, loves the genre etc. I only worry that this is just a clever marketing exercise by some record company to put a famous face on the cover in order to boost sales, who knows its probably my overly sceptical imagination!
11 Comment| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?