on 12 May 2009
Having read the reviews on here I had hoped that this book would be right up there with 'e' by Matt Beamont and 'Starter for ten' by David Nicholls but sadly after a promising start it didn't make it in my opinion.

My rating of this book rollercoasted as I read through it. It hit 5* at several points and also 1* at several points. I just couldn't make up my mind so erred on the side of being generous. It is worth reading, don't get me wrong and I did laugh out loud a few times, but I think it got a tad tedious as every year there would be some other mishap which stretched the bounds of reality further each time. Considering Kennedy's parents were teachers they appeared to be pretty thick at times - leading me to suspect that some of the items are made up despite the statement to the contrary. In a somewhat ironic way I wonder whether the book may have been better had she made up some stuff - the problems that occurred were quite samey normally relating to Kennedy's prediliction for matters colorectal and gastric so be warned as poo and puke feature highly in this book - although I didn't mind that (having worked in general surgery it was like a home coming!).

What really irritated me (and I wish Amazon would have half stars as this would have resulted in me decreasing my rating) were the errors in the book. Firstly there is a strange problem with words that have 'o' and 'n' as their 2nd and 3rd letters e.g. towards the end the word 'pontoon' features quite heavily but it is always printed 'pon toon' as is 'con tact' etc etc - annoying. Reference is made to somewhere being only 5 miles from the M25 years before that car park was built. In the final chapter Kennedy gains a year as we reach 1979 and she is 13 having been born in 1967 so that's clever.

And lastly it's CALAMINE lotion not Camomile!!!

Perhaps there is a job for me in pruiff reedngi.

Rob Sawyer
11 Comment| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?