12 of 16 people found the following review helpful
Do yourself a favour and read this before purchasing...,
This review is from: Disney Buddies: The Search for Santa Paws [DVD] (DVD)
Doesn't even deserve one star and I really just wanted to endorse the other 1 star reviews. This is truly awful. Shouldn't have a U cert and shouldn't have been made. My daughter isn't prone to neuroses or upset, but this film has really bothered her. Utterly pointless drivel with the sort of sacharin nonsense you'd expect (and, I suppose, that you've paid for) in a particularly sickly, amateurish and unconvicing guise, all of which I can live with. However, whilst I am sure we are all accustomed to narrative / plot devices through which tension is built before a resolution is reached, I wouldn't have expected a Disney, U-rated X-mas film to include:
- Santa being run over
- Santa getting amnesia
- Santa and his 'dog' both getting lost in NYC
- Santa and his dog both having the key to their magic powers stolen
- Santa becoming mortal, then ill, then on the brink of death
- The dog being turned into a toy
- The dog, as a toy, almost being incinerated
- Various damaged children recounting their traumatic childhoods ...
- ... whilst living with an abusive foster carer ...
- ... who incinerates their toys...
- ... which are (usually) the only link they have to happiness...
- ... and then locks the children in a cellar...
Of course it all turns out ok in the end, but the only value this film has is to make you wonder:
(a) who checks the scripts at Disney
(b) how many other films of this nature the BFBC reviewer hasn't bothered to check