on May 12, 2010
I've been buying albums for over 30 years and having seen these guys play live many times since their formation 3 years ago, I can honestly say I've never looked forward to an album as much as I have this debut long-player from Exit Calm. As I ripped off the cellophane I knew I wouldn't be disappointed, and I wasn't. Wham bam straight in with "You got it all wrong", you're immedialtey lifted up high to somewhere else. Then the gargantuan "We're on our own", previously released as a single, but surely a candidte for re-release as the Exit Calm mantra crosses the globe over the coming months as it surely will.
Just when you think things can't much better in comes "When you realise" - it really is so good you just want to cry with joy. Back into the groove with the menacing and hypnotic "Hearts and Minds" before we hear tunester Nicky Smith cragilly croon on "Don't look down".
If you're lucky enough to get hold of one of the classy double album heavy duty vinyls, you've just travelled through ecstasy and arrived at the end of side 2. But Exit Calm don't wait hang around for stragglers and it's not long before heads are heaven once again as the beautiful "Forgiveness" hollers and haunts. Next we have the live favourite of "Reference" - as we hear those words "even though you're standing next to me, it feels so faaaaaaar away" each and every one of us is possessed by thoughts a love once had and lost, truly beautful.
"With angels" is where you are as you float in space, "Atone", "Recovery" and the mesmerising closing tune "Serenity" and the best album of the decade draws to a close. But not for long, because the only possible thing you can do once the Exit Calm album has finished, is put it straight back on again. Anyone who has a soul and who loves music is a fool if they don't buy this album. In years to come it will feature highly in All Time Top 100's.
What's this?