on 10 May 2011
In Terror of the Nightwatchman, Luke and Co. find themselves going through a sneaky Hex Hatch that leads to a jungle, a nice ogre named Spider and a Nightwatchman intent on making children's dreams as hellish as possible. Even I was a little creeped out while reading, so I can't imagine how an 8-year-old will cope. Of all the Scream Street books I've read so far, I think this is definitely the scariest one. It reminded me of a Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode called 'Nightmares', which is all about being trapped in dreams and facing your fears. Obviously it's brilliant, and I was happy to see a similar idea terrorising the residents of Scream Street.

This book also marks the appearance of a new character - Spider the ogre. He's not your average ogre, in the sense that he's actually lovely, and helps children escape from the horrible Nightwatchman. He's like a big cuddly teddy really, and what's even cooler is that Tommy based him on a real-life friend and fellow Scream Street fan. I hope he appears in future books, as he brought even *more* humour to the story! (I know, I didn't think that was possible either...)
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink