I might as well come clean straight away - I'm an unashamed fan of Alister McGrath. He has helped me - a scientist - to become convinced of the rationale for faith and the intellectual integrity of the Bible . My debt to him, and to Francis Collins, Denis Alexander, John Lennox and the BioLogos community is immeasurable. All have greatly influenced my world-view and strengthened my faith, but it is perhaps with Alister that I can identify most closely because I've heard him speak on more than one occasion, and he has patiently and graciously answered my questions. So I didn't come to this book as an entirely "neutral" reader.

Nevertheless, I seriously believe that this book will challenge even the most committed "New Atheist", and clarify the thinking of Christians, too. One of McGrath's real strengths is his ability to speak to the academic in a style nonetheless accessible to the intelligent lay-reader, and in that regard this book is a real tour-de-force. I definitely recommend reading what Dawkins himself has to say in The Selfish Gene and The Blind Watchmaker first, however, since this book specifically addresses those. And it seems only fair to tackle The God Delusion, too. But for those who feel that is all a bit too much, there is the excellent full debate between Dawkins and McGrath available on Youtube to set the stage for understanding them both.
11 Comment| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.