on 12 March 2013
In all honesty, I wasn't going to bother with s5. I mainly stuck with the 4th series to see how Annie's story ended, but it turned out that it was genuinely good and I really grew to like Tom and Hal (particularly Tom).
Last series ended with Annie and Eve going through their door and reuniting with Mitchell, George and Nina. In this series we have Alex (introduced last series) in a main role, filling the Type 1 requirement of Being Human's triad.
Having been a huge Annie fan since the beginning, I wasn't sure how I felt about a new ghost, but I quickly grew to like Alex a lot. She's a tough, funny and charming character who's hard not to like.
The series is mainly set in a hotel, at which Tom and Hal get new jobs, having been fired from the cafe they worked at in the previous series. In this hotel is where they meet Captain Hatch, a foul mouthed, nasty old wheel-chair bound man who is somehow connected to a series of violent suicides in the hotel. (I'll avoid spoilers). The arch for this series is very promising and combines gritty darkness and tongue in cheek homour in a way that we do expect from the show. There isn't really a cast member that doesn't do a good job.

Now for the very last episode. I couldn't help but be underwhelmed, because if I used one word to describe the finale, it would be "rushed". Series 5 basically spends most of it's time building up the biggest bad guy we've ever had in the series and by the time that's done, we only have one episode for the confrontation/battle. This, added to the fact that they also need to wrap up the story, makes for an incredibly rushed finale and it's hard not to feel a little let down considering the build up and who the bad guy is! The way it ends for Alex, Tom and Hal is perfect though and was a good way to finish off the show.

SPOILERS- Returning characters for the finale include Leo and Allison from the fourth series. If you were hoping Annie, George, Mitchell or Nina might make an appearance, I'm afraid you'll be disappointed... it would have been nice, and I refuse to believe that they couldn't have gotten at least one of them to make an appearance, but I guess considering how rushed everything already felt, it may have been for the best.

All in all, this was a suitable ending to Being Human. It's changed a hell of a lot and it's kept standing and being a quality show in spite of that, something that I will always applaud it for. We have to remember that even though this was a finale, the writers were ending the show with characters that we hadn't really known all that long. Considering this, both the writers and the cast did an excellent job. It's just a shame that the BBC only wanted 6 episodes, as opposed to 8, for such a huge story-arch.
0Comment| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?