on 12 April 2010
Tim Dee has undoubtedly written a beautiful book with some awe inspiring paragraphs that lift your soul and have you rushing to get outside to experience just a little of the world that Tim writes about. However, and I have to say it's a big however, at times I found the book repetitive and just plain boring, too often there seemed to be pages of endless descriptions that left me far from inspired and more than a little frustrated.

The book is divided into sections defined by the twelve months of the year. In each section the author writes about his bird watching travels or his recollections from his life full which is obviously been full of birds. Each of these sections gave me some insight into Tim Dee's own personal life or gave some unknown fact about birds or the world they inhabit. But again, often these points were not just one of those quick facts that you end up telling everyone about, but rather a long draw out monologue of endless wordiness. I constantly felt like the book was somewhere between a birdwatcher story and a long piece of romantic poetry.

All this left me rather confused about my feeling towards this book by the time I finished reading it. On one hand, the author writes some glorious pieces of descriptive poetry that had me racing home to dictate sections to my wife, on the other hand I had long periods where I just wanted to leave the book alone and start something a little less laborious. While I love Tim Dee's descriptions of how birds have "bought a little bit of the sky down with them" or how he felt when he was out among the bird ringing them, I found it far more infuriating reading many pages worth how Redstarts are his favourite bird or about the mystery of the Nightjars call for the third time in one book. All in all I'd say read this book if you love `nature writing' and have a bit of time to invest, but not if you just want a book you can just pick up and have a quick read of.
0Comment| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?