on 20 January 2012
I bought a brand new HP a year ago in a shop and just before Christmas it developed a fault and I was offered a replacement. After a bit of research and comparing the specs I thought this Acer was the best deal I could get for the price. It is indeed faster than my old HP and has more space.
I have now had it for over two months and am getting so annoyed by its quirks that I am desperately missing my old laptop.
For one, as others have mentioned, the power switch is in a really awkward spot so that it turns itself off if I get too close to a cushion on the sofa or accidentally touch it when trying to pick it up. The slightly askew keyboard also takes some getting used to, and some of the keys are smaller than others. The single most annoying thing about this computer though is the fact that the disc drive on the right hand side opens up at the lightest touch, or even when I just place the laptop onto the table. Once it is pressed in, it opens up again, and again. Drives me absolutely nuts. The battery life is shockingly short in comparison to any other laptop I have owned, even when I am not using it at full capacity.
I am not going to comment on the technicalities as those have been well covered by other reviewers.
all in all, even though the specifications for this machine are great in comparison to other brands, the design faults make me wish I had a slower but sturdier machine and could go back to my old HP.
33 Comments| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?