VINE VOICEon 19 December 2011
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I can't claim to have an obsession for visiting far-flung parts of the world but this book really whetted my appetite for travel, even to places like Yemen which I'd never considered before.

The big attraction here is the full-page colour photography, as you might expect from a coffee-table tome from National Geographic. Everything looks beautiful. And the text is equally authorative and interesting. I didn't find any mistakes (and I usually do with most popular guidebook series) even for countries and places I know well.

Like other reviewers, I didn't think a lot of the locations ranked as 'secret' in any way. However, the authors get around recommending some of the major tourist spots of the world by highlighting unusual aspects of them, such as bird-watching in Central Park or hiring a study room at The Victoria and Albert Museum. My one bugbear was recommending London's Monument - it's next to an Underground station named after it and you wouldn't particularly want to walk there (or climb its steps) after visiting St Paul's Cathedral as they suggest.

Overall, this book is an inspiration. It really made me want to get my credit card out and start booking trips!
What's this?