on 22 April 2012
Notwithstanding the fact that very few of us could be nostalgic for the institutional racism and myriad other attendant issues of the colonial era these stories are pleasantly evocative of a lost age which is somehow captivating. Knowing nothing about the author I first read Maugham when I was in my late teenage years. Having unexpectedly enjoyed his stories I just assumed he belonged to the canon of great British writers. So it was with a mild surprise when I read a fun Christopher Hitchens essay which eloquently did its best to undermine this impression. I had to find out if my teenage impression had been so obviously incorrect so revisited Maugham through this collection of essays. I must admit that even if Hitchens not unfair these essays still manage to entertain me with their strange moods and transplanted Edwardian attitudes.

Sadly, I cannot comment on their quality as literature because the Hitchens essay made too much of an impression on me to relate a properly formed opinion but if you can past some of the sometimes loose characterisation they are a very satisfying read and gave me pause for thought which is my usual reaction from what I think of as good writing.
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.