3 of 4 people found the following review helpful
An old school style MMO which is fun, UNTIL HIGHER LEVELS.,
This review is from: Final Fantasy XIV: Standard Edition (PC DVD) (Video Game)
I never played version1 of FF14 but this version2 (a realm reborn) is a very well designed, gorgeous looking, easy to play MMO with lots of content.
The GAME is very old-school so don't expect anything revolutionary which you may expect in other games like Guild Wars 2.
This game is very much about healers, tanks and DPS, targeting an enemy and bashing keys until they go down. You put points into attributes like health and damage as you level up and there is NO skill tree. All abilities unlock as you level up.
But I like this!
The only issue I have found (so far) is that the quests have too much text to read and I'm now just skipping it all and accepting the quest with no context. There is a lot to read in this game.
On the other hand, there are few quests which are spoken and fully animated by the game which is a nice change, but then strangely other fully animated quests sections are NOT spoken and you have to read text again?
In regards to the quests, they are nothing original and basically ask you kill and interact, but they thankfully keep the kill amounts to around 5 or 6 which is easy in bite size chunks.
Crafting is a bit unique in that each crafting type is a "class" in its own and you level that craft up like you would a healer or a DPS. Its unique and clever, but I can soon see it being a massive grind.
**UPDATE ONCE REACHING LEVEL 41**
Now that I have played a bit longer and gone beyond level 35 I have found a very frustrating trend in the game. Once you reach about level 35 and upwards there are fewer and fewer main quests to level up against.
You end up in a situation where (as right now) I am level 41 and have been rewarded armor which requires level 42 and unlocked a dungeon which requires level 44 to enter. But there are no more NPCs giving quests in this area!
I now have three options to level up..
- Dungeon running which can take a long time to get into.
- Doing "fates" which are world events you can take part in which offer a lot of XP.
- Killing creates on the "hunters log" which give a lot of XP.
The issue though, is that any lower level dungeon wouldn't offer enough XP in return and would take close to an hour to get into.
The "fates" are fun, but either it takes too long to ride across the map to take part and its over by the time you get there, or you don't contribute enough to make enough XP or there are no "fates" for around 5 minutes while the game generates new ones.
The "hunters log" (basically a book challenging you to kill set creatures) is currently only offering ONE creature to kill.
When I first encountered this at level 35 I thought I had missed side quests somewhere, but I had done everything there was by that point. But the higher level you get, the fewer quests the game provides and expects you to grind "fates" more and more.
It is now getting to be very frustrating and has turned what was a fun game... into not one!
- It looks beautiful even on lower settings and runs smoothly on older machines
- Controls perfectly.
- Simply skill system where abilities unlock as you level up.
- No complicated skill tree.
- You can be any class (job) you want by just swapping weapons.
- The dungeons are fun and well designed.
- The armor variations are good enough to make you look different.
- Lots of content.
- There is A LOT of text to read on quests and I have found myself skipping most of them.
- Getting into dungeons and raids can take up to an hour of using the LFG tool.
- Waiting until lvl 20 until you get your own mount?
- The mounts aren't really that fast or make any difference.
- Some things such as crafting (finding how to learn them) can be confusing.
- The quests are nothing more then kill this or that, interact with this or that.
- The thinning out of quests as you reach level 35+ which turns the game into a massive grind.
As with my update above, this is a fun game until you reach higher areas and then the content just drops off. They do plan to add more content soon, but will this include more quests or just add more dungeons and fates?
There simply isn't enough good design in the game to help you level all the way to max!