on 3 March 2006
Bought by my youngest son because it had a cool cover! What a choice! Starting reading this book with my two boys one evening and once we got started we just could not put it down! We ended up reading it in one sitting which ended up being a very late school night, but boy was it worth it! The use of short sentences and different types of poetry throughout helped hold our attention. However it was the magical use of language and the clever way the story was put together that held our interest. Many twists and turns throughout, we never knew excactly where it was all leading to, again a great skill the author obviously has, which helps hold childrens attention - not always an easy task when it comes to kids reading! However as well as being a great read and story line, what really made it such a special book for me was the huge amount of life's lessons that were contained throughout, that were dropped in in such an interesting and thought provoking way. Such issues as not being afarid to be different from the crowd, being able to stop and appreciate the many wonderful things that surround us all every day of our lives, to issues of bullying and how those involved in bullying may actually be thinking about themselves or to how our actions and attitudes to others can have a profound affect on those who we come in contact with and on and on!
I cannot recommend this book too highly to young kids particularly when read and discussed with a parent or guardian. As mentioned in my title, i feel this book should become recommended class reading for Primary schools everywhere, its that good. I cannot wait to read other books by Malorie Blackman if they are half as good as Cloudbusting.
29 people found this helpful