VINE VOICEon 1 October 2007
I first read Illusions 28 years ago, and it blew me away to find this guy saying so simply and so engagingly all the things that I'd struggled so hard to find out for myself .. all the things that really matter in life, but written like a fairy story, or an hour round the fire with a good friend, or ... well, you get the idea, I'm sure.

I kept having to put the book down every few pages, and just go, "oh YES! why couldn't I describe it like that?"

I must have bought around 20 copies by now - to give as presents and to replace when someone I'd lent it to said how much they loved it, and I told them "just keep it, then".

I still read it now & again ... and enjoy it as much as ever. I wonder how many books have that sort of loyalty? Not many in my (book!) case.

It's a fascinating book, because it can be read on so many levels: simply as a light fantasy; as a parable for all the spiritual things that really matter in life; a buddy story ... or indeed all of the above at once.

I call it my Bible, because I feel the God I know would prefer it to the Bible we're brought up with .. sorry to anyone who finds that blasphemous and upsetting, but that's my honest belief.

And it's so gently amusing while it's telling you something profound ... oh, that school teachers could grasp the value of that!

Look out particularly for the part where the vampire appears in order to illustrate the point that it's NOT always a good thing to do whatever you want so long as you hurt nobody .. that's one of favourite bits, along with the Butch Cassidy/tomato sauce blood explanation.

If you want a totally feel-good overall experience, and to be reminded of things we all would be better for remembering, do buy Illusions. I'm almost certain you won't regret it.
11 Comment| 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?