on 2 October 2012
Well, what to say about this lavish boxset unleashed upon us by Universal. 8 classic monster movies (9 if you count the Spanish Dracula seperately) immaculately presented on Bluray for our viewing pleasure.

All I can say after viewing both Draculas, Frankenstein and a quick viewing of the other movies in the set, is STUNNING! Thank you Universal. The picture quality is quite incredible as far as I can see. Viewing on a 42" TV through a PS3. The upgrade in picture and sound quality, from the DVD editions, is remarkable as you would expect. I have compared them haha.

My only little gripe is the version of Phantom of the Opera is not the version from 1925 with a really creepy phantom but the 1943 one which I havent seen but Im sure is a fine film and is also the only colour film of the entire set and as such, to me, seems slightly out of place. Nevermind though, with a package this good it seems churlish to gripe.

Extras for all the films vary in quality but all have at least a commentary or 2 from some well regarded film historian/buff/scholar and some form of making of the production included. Great stuff all round. In particular the featurette on restoring Dracula for HD was very interesting.

We even get a 3D version of Creature From the Black Lagoon whcich will be nice when I get my 3DTV :)

Rounded out with a set of postcards with the original posters for the films and a brilliant booklet brimming with info this set is a must own at its ridiculously cheap price!!

Highly recommended.
1212 Comments| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?