on 5 January 2014
I have not read Taleb's other works but was intrigued by an interview, downloaded the free chapter on Kindle then got sucked in and couldn't put it down. I did pick up a copy to skim in a bookshop a while ago but it looked very dense and I passed it by. On Kindle I can crank up the font size and take my time! Ironically Taleb makes the case for the visceral quality of real books and I would agree but not for this one!!

Yes his style annoys me and I have to keep looking up words and latin phrases. The concave/ convex terminology confused me even though I love graphs and am quite technical. However it is a book that has helped me in thinking about various current practical questions that I am wrestling with in work (helping design and build low energy buildings) and life.

Some of it is 'obvious' but that doesn't make the insights less valuable. Much of it supports my beliefs which is always comforting but a good amount of it has made me question what I thought I knew.

I like the apparent paradoxes such as his advocating ancient wisdom in a purely pragmatic, rule of thumb way whilst still aspiring to a thoroughly rigorous rational approach.

If you are a practical person who likes to think about thinking then I would be very surprised if this book doesn't provide a healthy return on time invested reading it.
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.