on 26 August 2004
I am no "fan" of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, but the way they are portrayed here is just false to historical fact. This is a good film, but it's somewhat on the "loyal" side; i.e. we're not shown any quarrels that George VI & Elizabeth had (and you can't tell me that their marriage was a storybook every single second!) Believe me, I wasn't looking for a trashy tell-all, but a little more realism and a little less schmaltz would have made a better teleplay.
I wish someone would create a teleplay about how George VI overcame his severe stammer with the help of Lionel Logue (as told by David Duff in his excellent biography of George VI). I think this would be very interesting to people who stammer, as well as reminding us what a courageous person George VI was.
11 Comment| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?