on 7 February 2012
You certainly get a lot of book for the money, unfortunately I found it rather disappointing. As an amateur potter I was hoping for ideas and inspiration but apart from the sculpture on the cover I didn't really find much.

Most of the contributors are American and I get the impression that a random collection of ideas and objects constitutes 'sculpture'. I can appreciate how much effort and skill went in to making many of the objects, but the word 'why?' kept coming to mind.

I prefer sculpture to be aesthetically pleasing or have something to say. I have seen quite a lot of ceramic sculptures that I liked [elsewhere], but this book seems like a lot of fish from a small pond. The idea behind the book is great but I would have liked to have seen a much wider spectrum.

Obviously this is only a personal opinion and others have enjoyed the book so I may be the odd one out!
11 Comment| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?