on 9 June 2013
I clearly remember buying this when it was originally realesed back in 1990/91. This is an extremely important novel in my own reading/ literary history, something betrayed by the dog-eared quality that my copy has acquired; I think I must have read it at least twenty times. I remember that after my first reading I had to read It again almost straightaway. It certainly has made a big impression on me.

My original desire to read this novel came after the then contemporary reviews hooked onto the multitude of pop culture/ fashion reference that litter almost every page. I was fascinated by the whole concept of such blatant product placement ( it even inspired me to go out and buy a set of Oliver Peoples' frames, hmm) - it is in fact an insight full commentary of style vs substance vs shallow commercialism. Hilarious. The chapter revolving around Patrick Bateman's Phil Collins/ Genesis CD collection is a case in point.

This is an intelligent and extremely funny novel. Black comedy at its very best. Patrick Bateman is one of the twentieth century's greatest fictional heroes, a true reflection of us all and our vile society. Highly recommended.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink