TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 3 June 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I think Americans have a strange understanding of what the word 'hilarious' means. I have watched many DVDs that barely raised a smile, yet claimed to be 'Hilarious' so I'm quite wary of that word. You can imagine my dismay when I saw the cover and the first word was 'Hilarious' - quoted from a review. By the time I'd finished the book my opinion of their misunderstanding of the meaning of that particular word had not changed.

That's not to say I didn't enjoy it. I just didn't smile. It's a light-hearted romp set largely in California. It doesn't take itself seriously and nor should you. It's based around the idea that anyone can be anything they want in California - regardless of qualifications and so our hero, Brown, ex-sports journalist, finds himself jobless in San Francisco and is persuaded by his psychologist friend Fillmore to set himself up as a psychologist and Fillmore will refer some patients to him.

That's when life starts to get complicated and Brown gets tangled in the web of a wealthy gun/drug runner who has a private zoo around his house. This is when Brown makes another career change before ending up in Death Valley. The story is fun but chaotic and stretches belief beyond its limits, but I don't believe it's meant to be taken seriously.

I noticed in the Author notes that James Polster is also a movie producer and I think this has the potential to make a great comedy film, but a lot of the humour is visual and doesn't work so well on the page - for me at least.

If you've got a four-hour flight, or you want something light for the beach, take this and enjoy it. It's light, fun, and frivolous.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink