on 24 April 2011
It's not often that I feel compelled to review anything, but when I saw 'Never Let Me Go' in the cinema, I literally felt like I'd been punched in the gut. I need to get a few thoughts out.

I haven't read the book yet, but I got the point of the film very quickly and pretty much sat there dreading what was coming next. It's very natural as a viewer, to want the protagonists to shout their frustrations to the world and the scene where Tommy gets out of the car and just screams his frustration is the nearest we got to that. That was the scene that punched me in the gut.

People have mentioned '1984' in their reviews; it reminded me more, in tone, of something like John Wyndham's 'The Chrysalids'. The use of children to tell a particularly harrowing and frightening story serves to make that story all the more poignant.

Carey Mulligan has gone from strength to strength since I first saw her in 'Doctor Who' and 'Bleak House'. She has such a subtly expressive face and amazing control. Even Keira Knightley upped her game in this amazing film. The barbs were out for her in the cinema reviews, but I thought she did a fantastic job.

This is the best film I've seen in years and I'm annoyed it's out already in the States on Blu Ray, but not out here yet. I can only hope we'll get an extra special release.
22 Comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?