on 19 August 2014
7 Wonders is an interesting book with great moments, but I think it ends up tripping itself over.

I enjoy the author's books and I will be eternally grateful as he was my gateway to Angry Robot and endless hours of fun, thrills and joy. However, I think that my main gripe with 7 Wonders is that I felt it was actually 3 books that got all shoved into one single tome/adventure.

So we are introduced to San Ventura, a city with Superheroes and a Super Villain. On the first pages we are introduced to a new Super Hero and that throws a spanner in everyone's work. Here is where I felt the split for the (I assume) first story came in and we start getting a background of the city, the Heroes v Villains conflict and so on.

Then we focus on the current plans of the Super Villain and the progress of the new Hero. All culminating in an amazingly cinematic confrontation. And if that wasn't enough, then we jump to an entire World spanning threat and the plans to save it. This last bit, which I think would/should've been book 3, then falls into a Superhero Check-list that it got to the point I felt it was never ending, OK so I got the point, there were loads of super heroes. But to just list them and only say the qualities of a few... or just listing so many, defeated the point and as you can see it wound me up.

I am giving it a 3 because it has got some fantastic stuff, but it is definitely (personally) not a 4 as I felt we would have all benefited if each section had been given its own book, giving us full detail, rather than cramming all the back story.

It has great potential, but I felt it was overambitious and that prevented it from being great.
What's this?