on 22 May 2005
I wasn't impressed with this DVD. It says it is from beginner to black belt so I was expecting something more along the lines of the book of that title by Gulshan Sahota, which is pretty good.
However, as a brown belt, I didnt get anything from it, aside from viewing the kata at full speed, which I can get from my sensei anyway. I suppose I was looking for more indepth technical analysis - hips, for example, as that is so key to karate - but it was lacking. A technique is shown slowly and then quickly, without much dialogue of any insight at all. Also, the kata only go up to Heian Godan; there is no mention of Tekki Shodan or Bassai Dai. Kumite is not covered well at all. I had to admit I was a bit unsure how 'shotokan' this dvd was.
As to its relevance for a beginner, I guess it is a handy resource in that you can watch it over and over on your dvd, but I found each technique was covered very briefly. The film quality's not great either - I could get a camcorder and record my sensei and it would be of comparable quality.
All in all, I would rather refer to a book to remind myself of techniques in between classes than have this dvd. Mind you, I suppose it would just be better to attend another lesson instead...
0Comment| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.

Product Details