Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Learn more Learn more Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more

on 28 February 2014
A fascinating and insightful book - but I wonder whether the highly respected author Claire Tomalin has any idea how riddled with errors this Kindle edition is? Time and time again, the word 'then' appears as 'men' and the word 'this' as 'tins'. There are other, even sillier, errors. I puzzled over the word 'bloother' (used to describe a war) until I realised that the intended adjective was 'bloodier'. 'I think' appears as 'I mink', and in one instance, very confusingly, the word 'die' is replaced by 'the'.

Do you see a pattern emerging? It's pretty obvious to me that the printed version of the book was scanned in order to create the Kindle file. A 'th' can turn into an 'm' under the vagaries of the scanning process, which would explain the excessive numbers of 'men' where we might expect a 'then'.

I don't think Jane Austen would have been amused. I don't expect Claire Tomalin would be, either, were she to read the Kindle version of her brilliant book, which is, in short, a travesty of the carefully worded original.

Publisher, please note. If you scan a book, you need to proofread carefully afterwards to check for errors such as these. Self-published novels receive a lot of flak (and rightly so, in many cases) for inadequate editing. This is not self-published. It is published by Penguin, no less, who should know better.

I'm going to ask Amazon for my money back. This product is not as advertised. And Penguin, if you need a proofreader, I can recommend several professionals who will do a great job for you.

Sorry for the 3-star rating, Ms Tomalin. Based on content, I would have given you a five. The publishers deserve no stars at all.
24 people found this helpful