5.0 out of 5 stars TP LINK EXTENDER BRILLIANT !!!!!!!!!, 3 Dec. 2013
This review is from: TP-LINK TL-WA850RE 300 Mbps Universal Wall Plug Wi-Fi Range Extender/Wi-Fi Booster with Ethernet Port for Wired Device (WPS Function/Easy Configuration) (Accessory)
First to get honesty out the way , although a very regular customer I bought mine from Argos , it was £1 dearer but I had a £10 voucher to use up and have just got a new tablet so wanted to see if I could extend my Wi-Fi now without waiting the few extra days for delivery.

Now I am usually one of those unlucky or jinxed so and so,s so especially around Christmas time no matter how "simple" or "plug and go" or "universal" or easy to set up and gadgets and gizmos are that I usually end up spending hours getting the damned things working , if I have resisted the temptation to simply bin it.

However with this Extender I as normal opted for the easy option first plugged it in pressed the wps button on the router , pressed the button on the extender and after about 90 seconds it was sorted.
The one thing I found perhaps its just me the process of the flashing lights and in particular what should and should not be flashing could be better explained as I at first thought I was having my usual gadget problems until it dawned on me that it was ok.

I must admit I did not waste ant time trying different spots for it , I already knew where my Wi-Fi was weakest , the kitchen , conservatory and living room , plugged it in the kitchen switched on tablet and BANG full strength Wi-Fi.

I am very very pleased both with the item and with myself for buying it.

I would not put anyone off buying one of these as its worked for me.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 16 Jun 2014 00:12:14 BDT
Paul Jones says:
What an honest and refreshing review.
I like and trust reviewers like this, as they aren't afraid to admit their shortcomings on items like this.
Most people are the same (with regards the shortcomings), but most wont admit,lol.
I include myself amongst the most.
Great review,kudos to you, my friend.

Posted on 11 Jul 2014 15:02:34 BDT
Last edited by the author on 11 Jul 2014 15:04:41 BDT
 says:
If your signal was weak in the kitchen, plugging this in there would not be a good move. You need it about half way between your router and where you work. You may well get a good signal after plugging it in, but the bit rate will be no better than before.You just have a strong connection to a weak signal. It's like amplifying a crackly mobile: it's louder, but still as crackly.

Posted on 10 Jan 2015 19:13:26 GMT
My Blue LED's are all on solid except the wifi light. It is flashing. The unit seems to be working, but I'm not possitive. Should the wifi light be flashing?

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jan 2015 15:36:20 GMT
 says:
It sounds as though it isn't linked to the router or has lost the connection. In the former case, I would do a reset and start again. Plug it in near to your router to link it, wait till it settles down, press WPS on your router, then hold the button on the range extender for about 2 seconds and release. Eventually the WiFi should settle down and the other LEDs tell you the signal strength. Now move it to its final position.

In the latter case, just switch it off and on again.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jan 2015 21:10:08 GMT
Actually I found the answer on the instruction sheet at the bottom of the page. The Wifi led is supposed to be flashing. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2016 09:32:23 BDT
Advisor says:
Exactly right. Extenders like this should be placed half way between the router and where you are trying to get to.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›