on 9 October 2013
Received the recorder quickly, via Amazon's excellent next-day service. It was easy enough to set up. I am using it to replace a Sky+ box, now that I have cancelled my Sky contract. Making the connections was straightforward, and the initial tuning was easy enough. It found my WiFi router quickly, although entering the WiFi code appeared to be more fiddly than it needed to be ...

And that has been my experience of the recorder since - it is more fiddly than it should be, requiring several buttons to be pressed going through menu options, to do something that required only one button press on the Sky+ box. So, for example, when you select a programme to watch in the programme guide it doesn't simply take you through to the programme - you have to choose between viewing, one time record or series record. It also tells you if the same programme is available on an HD channel, and you have to choose which channel you want to use. I am sure this is intended to provide useful functionality, but it makes day-to-day use of the recorder quite irritating.

And why of why does it tell me that new channels have been found every time I switch on the recorder? The first couple of times when this came up I pressed the option to update the channel list, but this takes a few minutes and then there was no evidence of there being any new channels. So I now ignore this prompt - but of course this may mean that I miss new channels when they do actually arrive.

The remote control also appears quite slow to respond - it requires very deliberate button presses, and it must be carefully pointed at the recorder. Internet features are a bit clunky.

So, although the technical quality (quality of recordings, etc) appears to be very good, it is let down by the user interface and general user-friendliness. I expect I will get used to it, but at the moment I would like my Sky+ box back!
11 Comment| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?

What are product links?

1. Find the product you want to reference on Amazon.com
2. Copy the web address of the product
3. Click Insert product link
4. Paste the web address in the box
5. Click Select

Please write at least one word
You must purchase at least one item from Amazon to post a comment
A problem occurred while submitting your comment. Please try again later.

There was a problem loading the comments at the moment. Please try again later.