on 11 September 2004
Mind if I get nostalgic? See, I've got a good memory when it comes to music, and Gilbert's 1972 album Back To Front is frankly one of my all time favourites. Now, before you go calling me sad, may I point out that a) I love the Beatles, the Smiths, the Bee Gees, Roy Orbison, ELO, Abba, Bangles etc, AND a lot of classical music; and b) this very album made number one in the UK album charts in 1972. Further, Gilbert O'Sullivan was hot property at this time scoring two back to back number ones in the singles charts with Clair and Get Down!
So apart from the memories connected to being a toddler, the reason why I bought this album on cd is Simple: Melody. Good lyrics that you can hear. Good production, admittedly very seventies now (flutes anyone?) and overall an offering with no filler. I remember the record because it's memorable, they're songs that stick in your head. My two toddler daughters, love this album and recognise each song. They don't make 'em like this anymore (oi, don't you laugh).
In a way, a lot of O' Sullivan's lyrics predate those of my other favourite lyricist, Morrissey. They're sad yet homely.
This album we used to own on LP, now scratched so much it's unplayable, and 8 track cartridge. Now I've finally got it on CD and it's like welcoming back an old friend of the family.
Yeh okay, so I am sad but I don't care. Pass me my slippers and cup of Horlicks, I'm going down Memory Lane with dear old Ray again.
11 Comment| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?