on 21 August 2008
I really wanted this book to be fabulous and a fitting HEA for Ash. The first part of the book, Ash's back story I found myself reading until midnight as I found it so engrossing although not always enjoyable due to the strong content. Admittedly towards the end of the first part, i wondered what else SK could think up to do to Ash but a riveting read non the less.
I would have liked to have seen some glimpses of what Ash did for thousands of years between his reaching godhood and the current day.
The second and much shorter part of the book, meeting his heroine and falling in love, I did not find nearly so interesting. Personally I did not find the chemistry between them so strong as in earlier books such as Vane and Bride. I felt SK kept telling me about how good they were together rather than letting the characters and the writing do the telling. Tory kept getting described in such glowing terms by SK yet I did not see this coming across in her words and actions and really, did not see why Ash fell in love with her. The plot and action was a little weak and contrived also. To anyone not familiar with the DH books, the book is readable as a stand alone but not recommended because I think you would build up a different picture of Ash from this book rather than getting to know him through his appearances in earlier books.
So perfectly readable but not the outstanding book I hoped for.
5 stars for the first section, 3 stars for the second.
What's this?