1.0 out of 5 stars Not the version everyone loves, do NOT buy, 15 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Legend [1985] [DVD] (DVD)
My feelings on this film are far from unique, it seems about 3 out of 4 reviews state the same feeling: Why this version?

I grew up in the 1980s and recorded Legend off the TV and watched it until the VHS began to go funny. I loved it; it was magical and mystical and oh so enchanting. Of course, many childhood memories are best left as memories and - after watching the DVD version - so it seemed was Legend. It seemed a bit silly, not very captivating and there was certainly nothing magical about it. And then the reason was explained to me. So, to sum it up, there were two versions released; the US version which was shorter and with a soundtrack by the Tangerine Dream and the European version which was longer with a classical score by Jerry Goldsmith. However, when the film was shown on TV in the UK in the 1980s, the US/Tangerine Dream version was used (and ONLY on TV - cinema and VHS/DVD releases are the Goldsmith version). Put shortly, the Goldsmith version is pants and the Tangerine Dream version is sheer brilliance. If you want an example of how much a soundtrack can influence a film, the two versions of this film can serve as no better example. This release is the Goldsmith version - the only version available on Region 2 DVD.

The wonderful music and the brevity of the film in the US/Tangerine Dream version mixed together so well to lift you into another world. The particularly disappointing changes in the Goldsmith version are the ending sans the song 'Loved by the Sun' and the Lord of Darkness's final speech before he is cast into oblivion. The Jerry Goldsmith version is not a bad film, but it is unexceptional, and just another film. Watching the Tangerine Dream version on the internet earlier today (poor, pixleated quality on a laptop and all) took me back to being an eight-year-old boy again and was a million times better than the Goldsmith version on 32 inch, widescreen HD TV).

What makes me so angry is that - just like George Lucas stubbornly refusing to release the original Star Wars films for years - you cannot purchase the Tangerine Dream version on region 2 DVD right now. And you can only buy that version as a box set with the limp Goldsmith release ON REGION 1! Please listen to the multitude of reviews and release the version we all grew up loving.

In short, this film is average and is not the version we grew to love. The second the Tangerine Dream version becomes available on Region 2 DVD, my copy will be on order, but I have no interest in this 'vanilla' version at all and strongly advise you hold off and wait for the real version.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 12 Apr 2011, 01:22:01 BST
Last edited by the author on 12 Apr 2011, 01:26:28 BST
H. Jones says:
The only issue I have with these reviews complaining about the score is... well, not everyone saw this when it first came out (I for one wasn't born yet)! So all these nostalgic memories of an untouchable 'original' score are a bit irritating!

For the record, I prefer the Goldsmith version!! Although I honestly can't remember which 'version' I saw first as a kid, but I loved it all the same.

p.s. not picking on your review in particular, this is just a general observation on everyone's criticism of this cut! Although I guess it's useful for people over the age of xx who want the original version they saw as a kid in the cinema...

Posted on 20 Apr 2011, 03:57:51 BST
i know what you mean loved the movie when i was younger i remember vhs tapeing it from bbc2 back in the late 80's /early 90's,it was much longer and better.Albeit in a horrible letter box format.i did how ever hack my dvd player to play all regions and ordered the 2 version combo pk on dvd from the states,but the picture still quite furry, they could of easyley put both films on one blu-ray and be done with . But no! they just want to drag it out , maybe i'll check back in another 10 years or so!at least i understand what you mean

Posted on 17 May 2011, 16:37:01 BST
J. stone says:
Thanks for your explanation. Like you I recorded it off t.v.years ago it's always been a favourite film & haveing watched it on t.v. the other week decided to buy it but this versions not the same. The scene where the dress dances around & with Lilly has very hypnotic music but not in this version, there are also lots of my favorite bits edited out. Very dissapointing will be looking out for the Tangerine Dream version too.

Posted on 7 Jun 2011, 06:47:51 BST
Last edited by the author on 7 Jun 2011, 06:49:38 BST
Well, I saw the film when it came out in the U.S. with the Tangerine Dream score and didn't care for it much. And I LIKE Tangerine Dream! (In fact I saw them when they were touring in support of the film the same year) But I MUCH prefer Goldsmith's ORIGINAL SCORE (his is in fact the one that was written for the film . . . . TD were asked to replace it for the U.S. release and not given much time . . . . a few weeks if I remember . . . . to compose it). And although the film is FAR from being successful overall Ridley Scott's cut with the original music works the best for me. TD's score is cold and impersonal (which works very well in movies like SORCERER), and this is something the film already suffers from. But to each his own. It would definitely be nice to have both offered on blu, in fact the same package as the 2 disc U.S. set would be sweet in HD.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jun 2011, 13:40:57 BST
Whilst I disagree with your view on which version is better, clearly we both agree on the idea of being able to buy both versions. I don't like the Goldsmith version but cannot buy the TD copy. No justice.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jun 2011, 05:37:14 BST
Actually you can. :) It's just come out in the U.S. - both versions in one blu-ray set. NOT region locked, and cheap! Justice prevails. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jun 2011, 16:24:55 BST
great one thanks for that i'll check it out !,i dont need to wait 10 years after all ,lol,regards phill

Posted on 28 Aug 2011, 00:57:17 BST
Thank you Mr.Hall! When I bought this film I thought to myself, hold on am I missing something here? I'm sure this had a different soundtrack when I watched this on T.V as a kid, and thanks to your painstaking research on the matter I now have the answers. I agree with your sentiments whole heartedly, it totally alters the feel of the movie, tell me though what personally annoys you more: the change in soundtrack in Legend or the fact that Lucas chose in the re-mastered version of return of the jedi to splice Hayden Christensen over the actor who played Anakin Skywalker in the original when they appear as ghosts at the end? It's a tough call isn't it?

Posted on 6 Feb 2012, 22:36:02 GMT
floyd_dylan says:
The Tangerine Dream version was the dumbed down version for the Americans in the 80s.

I'm sticking to my Region 1 special edition of Legend with the both cuts of the movie, plus all the special features which is shockingly missing from the Blu Ray edition. How do they expect people to convert to blu ray if they continue to withold the documentaries, and other extras?

Posted on 7 Feb 2012, 15:20:09 GMT
Fraught says:
It's probably been said all over, but the original version of the film shown in Cinemas in the UK contained the Goldsmith score. The version available to rent and buy on VHS, and DVD in the UK had the Goldsmith score. The Tangerine Dream scored version of the film was the US Theatrical version and was only shown on TV in the UK. So for me, having see this at the cinema in 1986, and bought it on VHS and then on DVD... the Goldsmith score is the right version to watch. Don't get me wrong, i love the TD score, and in some scenes prefer it over the Goldsmith one... but as a whole... the Goldsmith score delivers more punch and fantasy!

Get the US Blu-Ray version of this film as it contains both the Directors Cut (with the Goldsmith score) and the US Theatrical cut with the Tangerine Dream score. Everyone's a winner. :-)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›