1,726 of 1,821 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Beware - this will KILL you!, 5 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred [DVD] (DVD)
But I mean it in a good way! This is, without any shadow of a doubt, the most intensive workout DVD I've ever tried (and I have a good few, including Davina, Nell McAndrew, The Firm etc etc...) Jillian and her two helpers (one advanced, one 'normal') take you through three 20 minute workouts - Levels 1, 2 and 3. Each workout is made up of three circuits which comprise of 3 minutes of weights, 2 minutes of cardio and 1 minute of ab work.

Like me, you may well be thinking this sounds reasonable, quick and easy. It isn't! Even Level 1 is an intensive workout - lots of jumping jacks, squats, bum kicks etc., and Jillian doesn't let up for a second, constantly keeping you moving. I found I had to use lighter weights than I would for a Davina workout; the exercises are so quick and intense that I couldn't keep up with my usual ones. The exercises have a real 'military' feel and change quickly, and you are given plenty of instruction and encouragement. The music isn't great, but then you probably won't have the energy to think much about it while you're doing this workout!

Levels 2 and 3 contain harder exercises (such as burpees, mountain climbs, jumping jacks from the plank position). I've got a passable fitness level, but on finishing Level 2 I was in a collapsed screaming heap on the floor, thoroughly worked out! Jillian screams at some point in Level 2 "I want you to feel like you're gonna DIE!" - and if you're anything like me, you will! On the plus side, if you can do Level 2, I don't think you'll find Level 3 too much of a difference in intensity, unless you have weak abs as this section pushes them to the limit.

This is a fantastic workout to try if you're looking to push yourself hard, but it is NOT for the faint hearted. Jillian and her helpers are very toned, but also quite bulky - to avoid this it might be a good idea to alternate this DVD with some less intense workouts (as I intend to do!) But the fact remains - there is absolutely no doubt that if you did this DVD every day, even doing just one of the three levels per day, you would lose weight and get results very quickly.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 15 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 54 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 6 Jan 2010, 13:44:04 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Jan 2010, 13:47:52 GMT
Anjela says:
Thanks for your review, I've ordered this and can't wait to try it out, I to have Davina and Nell and am looking for something a bit more....

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jan 2010, 19:40:24 GMT
NinaJ says:
You're welcome! :) You'll love it - if "love" is the right word for something that makes you feel like you want to die! Definitely a step up from Davina/Nell etc.

Posted on 7 Jan 2010, 21:44:12 GMT
Soho70 says:
What a great review! Although from reading the ones on this dvd from Amazon.com i had a feeling this was going to be hardcore!
I have my copy on order and now i'm scared!! but excited about trying it out. I also have Davinas dvds as well as many others but was looking for something a little more 'punishing'! and this definitely sounds like the one!
Thank you for the warning. x

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jan 2010, 13:00:18 GMT
NinaJ says:
Thank you! Yes, this one is definitely more 'punishing' - enjoy!

Posted on 9 Jan 2010, 13:34:53 GMT
K. Butcher says:
Thanks for your review - really want to give it a try now, although the section 2 sounds scary (I detest burpees!) Love my Nell McAndrew though so am looking for a change :)

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jan 2010, 20:42:32 GMT
NinaJ says:
You're welcome, hope you enjoy it (I hate burpees too!) :)

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jan 2010, 13:41:12 GMT
C. Skinner says:
I've ordered this and am waiting for it to arrive, I think the cold weather is slowing it down big time, I'm itching to give it a go! Nell McAndrew is my fave DVD so this sounds right up my street!

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jan 2010, 21:31:12 GMT
Hi!
I've got my copy now and have done Level 1 twice and it feels gooood!
I don't have much 'fat' to lose but i do want to tone up at the same time, so if i continue to do this dvd (1 level at a time) about 3 times a week as well as my other dvds (Davinas, kate Lawler, MOS etc) does anyone have a clue when i'll start seeing results?!!
I know i'm being too impatient! but if i'm working out 4-6 times a week varying my workouts, surely it shouldn't take too long, right?
I'm loving Jillian by the way, a true motivator and i feel inspired by the different training method she uses.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks. x

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jan 2010, 23:18:18 GMT
NinaJ says:
Hi! Can only speak for myself, but by working out at least 5 times a week with these DVDs and the gym I half a stone in 2 months or so and that was without changing my diet. The Jillian DVD should definitely help you along the way, good luck!

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jan 2010, 10:18:29 GMT
Thank you for replying!
I am only using dvds at the moment, i gave up my gym memb as i was made redundant! But i'm doing lots of different ones about 4-6 times a week (trying to do Shred at least 3 times in there) and i eat really healthily anyway.
Guess i just have to keep at it...i have noticed that my stamina/strength has improved, things feel firmer but i don't necessarily feel that i have lost inches.
What level are you up to on Shred? She sure packs a lot into 20 minutes doesn't she!!
Thanks for your encouragement!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›