Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Tom Chaplin Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 21 January 2013
I purchased six of these LED bulbs back in June 2012.
Two in cool white, four in warm white.
These six LED bulbs were installed in a spare room I had refurbished back then.
The LED bulbs were connected in pairs, two used as the room's main light (cool white) and the other two pairs as exhibition light pointed at paintings on the walls.

PROS.
Probably the most efficient GU10 LED bulbs out there with the highest lumen output per watt consumed.
Bulbs producing a truly wide beam (120°) - perfect for general lighting (I never liked the narrow beams most GU10 bulbs produce - unless there is a specific reason for a narrow beam, it's usually annoying; blinding were it hits and dark everywhere else).
Exact same size as the normal halogen bulbs - full compatibility there.
Cool, tidy looks.
Spot-on color temperature for both the cool white light produced as well as the warm white one.
Excellent value - for - money... or so it seems!

CONS.
Very poor reliability.
Terrible value- for-money after all!

As I said earlier, these six bulbs were installed in a spare room. As such, this room is not frequently used. The two cool white bulbs had operated for around 100 hours (around 250 ON/OFF cycles), the other four, for less than 20.
The two cool white bulbs have both died, within a week or so between them (100 hours vs. 50000 hours claimed!).
I am sure that the 5050 SMD LEDs themselves are still fine, it's the build-in 240V AC to 12V DC converters that have died due to poor quality components.
Both died during startup. As soon as I hit the ON switch, the bulbs flickered producing a buzzing sound and then, nothing, dead!
It seems that it's the ON / OFF switching that got to them, not the total hours of use. If these bulbs were left ON all the time, I am pretty sure that they'd still work!

All in all, very disappointed with these bulbs. I usually only purchase branded goods - never unbranded ones. This was probably the first and last time that I have given an unbranded product a chance.
These bulbs are supposed to save the environment by consuming less energy and by lasting 50000 hours on average so that we, won't have to change bulbs so frequently, thus creating less garbage. At this failure rate, it's quite the opposite.
Would I buy any more of these bulbs? Definitely NOT - I don't like gambling nor wasting my money & time! It's back to PHILIPS, OSRAM & SAMSUNG for me - although these cost considerably more, they last much, much longer!

These bulbs belong on eBay, NOT amazon. I believe that amazon should reconsider having these bulbs on offer here...
66 Comments| 130 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse| Permalink
What's this?