on 23 August 2007
As an adoptive parent of two children born in Korea, and as a foreigner living abroad myself, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. My sister in law, a native in the country in which I have lived for the past fifteen years, and who has never been a long-term foreign citizen anywhere, did not understand this book. She was almost apologetic when she loaned it to me, but she thought I would like it because of the two characters who were adopted from Korea. I, on the other hand, loved Digging to America from cover to cover.

When Marjam said that she will always be a foreigner--both at "home" in Iran, as well as in the USA--I knew I had found an author who understood what it is really like to be transplanted. That it involved Korean adoption seemed to be a secondary theme.

If a person doesn't care for this book, it will be because they either lack the empathy to understand what it's like to be a foreigner in a different culture, or because they believed it to be a book about Korean adoption when it's really about something much deeper than that.

A must read for anybody who has struggled with their identity as a result of having changed countries and cultures.
0Comment| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse| Permalink
What's this?