VINE VOICEon 1 April 2011
If I had to sum up Department 19 in a few words they would be these: fast paced action adventure story for boys (and non wussy girls!!) with MI5 style vampire hunters who quite frankly kickass.

I don't often read YA books aimed more at boys than girls but this book has made me think that I should do more often.

The story revolves around Jamie Carpenter, an ordinary book who has just found out that vampires exist, his late father was a vampire hunter working for a MI5 style organisation and that his mother has been taken captive by the second oldest vampire in the world. Jamie is an awesome lead character. He steps up to the challenges thrown at him, is brave and courageous (and loves his mum). I loved following his story and watching him grow within Department 19 despite the obstacles he was facing. I can't wait to see more of him in future books and can definitely see him turning into a bit of a heartbreaker.

I really enjoyed being introduced to Department 19 through Jamie's eyes and via the flashback chapters. Seeing through Jamie was brilliant as things started to become clearly and untangle themselves the deeper he got into the organisation. I enjoyed sharing in his fascination in this new world and following him as he found his place in it. I loved how the story then used flashbacks to tell more of the background to the story of Department 19. The historian in me went mad for the bits set in the late 1800s and early 1900s. I liked how the author used stories from that time like Dracula and Frankenstein and tied them into the history of his own story.

One thing this book delivers well is its action. The scenes in which things kicked off were gripping. the gadgets the team had were very cool in a James Bondesque way and certainly something that I think would draw the boys in. Even wimpy old girly me wanted to go out in a department 19 issue suit and kill some vampires with a T-Bone after reading this

All in all a stunning debut novel which was thoroughly engaging throughout. I am already looking forward to the sequel.
What's this?