on June 27, 2003
First let me say that I *am not* a fan of animae. I love animation, but I guess I'm really too old to get into the Japanese style. That said, I had to say that I loved most of the Animatrix. The story telling is well done and some of the animation (espeicaly Osiris) is phenomenal. There are some stories that are less compelling than others, but for the most part the collection is worthwhile for anybody really interested in the mythology of the Matrix. I also believe there are hints in these short films about some of the unanswered questions about Neo. I would suggest that viewers pay particular attention to "Matriculated." It's definitely wacked in terms of style and story, but I think it potentially contains some clues as to what's going on with Neo. I won't say more because I don't want to be a spoiler. Second Renaissance parts one and two are also incredible. The animation and storyline are compelling and really shift your whole outlook about man-machine relations. Unlike the other reviewers, I found Detective to be thin. I did find "The Kid" to be really really interesting. I think the weakest short is the one about the athlete. From what I can see at this point it really didn't add anything to the back story nor did it supply any hints to the future.
All together, I would definitely recommend the Animatrix for anyone who loves piecing together thought puzzles, animation, or loves the whole idea of the Matrix.
What's this?