on 7 October 2008
Like some of the other reviewers for this album, I had the vinyl when I was young. I liked it but it was only when I listened to it with older ears that I realised how truly brilliant it was/is - I 'got' the references and jokes; but more than that, I was able to immerse myself in the nostalgia and wistfulness of songs like 'Somewhere In Hollywood' and 'Old Wild Men', and see how hilarious (but still rockin'!) 'Worst Band In the World' (wonder if Malcolm McLaren listened repeatedly to this song...) and 'Silly Love' are.

Clever without being pretentious, they were four talented musicians and songwriters who couldn't put a foot wrong - if you haven't at least listened to their first four albums (before Godley and Creme departed) you're missing out on some of the best music of the 70s or any other decade: their 1973 self-titled album (perhaps a little too jokey for mine, but still great), Sheet Music (perfect, less referential and more original and mature), The Original Soundtrack (anyone with anything resembling a heart should buy this album for the song 'I'm Not In Love' alone) and How Dare You (probably the most accessible of the four; still very artistic and smart though).

My only complaint with this CD is a technical gripe - I've got the Repertoire version released in 2000 and there's some less than wonderful remastering on a few tracks. 'Silly Love' suffers in particular - on vinyl it used to have really punchy, up-front guitars, but now it sounds like a blanket's been thrown over the mix on this track - the drums have been made to sound sort of distracting and 'doofy' too. Still an amazing song though. But Eric Stewart must be peeved at what's been done to some of his awesome production work. I'd love to hear (and buy of course) a properly remastered version of this incredible album. If anyone has both the new Glam / 7t's version and the Repertoire one could they please let me know via 'comments' at the end of the review if anything's been done to fix it...?
11 people found this helpful