31 of 35 people found the following review helpful
great game. but hard work....,
This review is from: Lost Planet 2 (PS3) (Video Game)
For those who dont know, Lost Planet 2 is a 3rd person shooter in which you shoot and kill alot of alien Akrid creatures (and a few pirates). Thats as deep and complicated as it gets to be honest.
Ok, the reviews for Lost Planet 2 havn't been brilliant thus far. And all the big critics like Gamespot and IGN have marked this game as a bit of a disapointment. I won't try to tell you this game is perfect because it is far from it. There are a hell of alot of flaws here-
1. (my biggest complaint) When you get shot you have to stop whatever your doing... you can still try to manouver out of the way of enemy fire but fighting back becomes tricky. for example, if you were planning on throwing a granade (even if you are halfway through the animation) you will be stopped if shot... when someone is shooting you with a machine gun, this is very VERY irritating, no other shooting games do this to you and theres a reason, SO TAKE NOTE PLEASE CAPCOM!!
2. When you get knocked down it can take quite a while to find your feet again. This proves very frustrating when you're fighting enemies that enjoy knocking you over every 2 seconds (IE: almost all of the bosses!)
3. The AI for both enemy and ally is increadably stupid and unpredictable at times. One time an enemy could spot you a mile away, on your next try the same enemy may completely ignore you... even at point blank range. Your allies are idiots... they either run ahead and die (repeatedly), get stuck on scenery or refuse to help you with objectives in which they are almost essential. (although this is easily cured if you play online with human teamates)
4. THE TRAIN LEVEL. I don't want to spoil anything for you so lets just say that this is the most stupid level in any videogame EVER. (ok, thats harsh. Vampire Rain in its entirety is alot more pathetic)
5. Online is unbalenced... whoever gets to their mechs first WILL win on the bigger maps. Although this is less aparent on the smaller maps and in the game type where you capture areas to win. (it also helps if you've mastered the roll dodge)
I could list a few more faults, but there aren't any more majour ones to speak of.
I actually love this game, despite its flaws. Because it IS fun... you'll have frustrating moments but if you can stick with it despite that, then I think you'll really like it too. The shooting feels satisfying and the guns feel powerfull. This game is really nice to look at, the environments look stunning, as do some of the bosses and enemies. There is great variety in the locations (snow, jungle, desert and factory type environments).
Mech suits show up here and there to keep things varied and you'll fight humans as well as aliens to keep you on your toes.
This game is brilliant fun both online and in splitscreen co-op (despite the stupidly reduced screen size) and having human partners makes this game alot more playable. The missions seem to be designed with more than one player in mind so if you have friends who want to play then thats the way to go.
I know this isn't important to some but this game has trophies to earn aswell so that'll give you extra incentive to explore and master this game properly adding replayabilty.
New unlockables with the online mode give great replayability aswell so you won't be wasting your money with a game that takes an only a few hours to complete.
So all in all I give this game 4 stars or 8/10. Whichever you prefer really.
Thanks for reading!
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 14 May 2010, 02:22:39 BST
William Jenkins says:
I would like to make a small ammendment. The train level mentioned in the review really isnt too bad once youve done it a few times. As with everything... theres a technique you need to get used to. and playing with a friend helped.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›