5.0 out of 5 stars Bosch have cracked it with this one, 7 April 2014
This review is from: Bosch ART 26-18 LI Cordless Lithium Ion Grass Trimmer Featuring Syneon Chip (1 x 18 V Battery, 1.5 Ah) (DIY & Tools)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Strimmers/Trimmers are fraught with issues. The strimmer line breaks or fails to load properly (usually ending as tangled twisted mess inside the spool). Petrol ones, which tend to be heavy duty, can be temperamental. Corded ones have a limited range. Battery ones tend to be lightweight and the cutting blades tend to be very fragile. (We have an earlier version of this strimmer and the little white blades break as soon as they hit anything of substance.

Well, with this cracking piece of kit I think Bosch have come up with a real winner. First of all it is reasonable lightweight and easy to manoeuvre. Second it uses the interchangeable Power for All battery pack - which means if you have other Bosch devices you can swap the packs around - which means you can strim for longer. Third, this has a variable speed control so you don't need to have it running at full blast. This one also comes with a neat little metal guard which will protect plants.

But the best bit is the new "durablade". The trimmer comes with just two of these which I thought was a bit mean given how quickly I get through the earlier ones. Well after using the trimmer for 90 minutes over the last two days the first blade is still going strong. And it has had some punishment - I was trimming an area which was quite overgrown and has quite a lot of hidden stumps and fallen branches so even though I was trying to be careful I hit a few. And yet the blade is still good.

The only minor criticism at the time of writing is that the replacement blades seem difficult to find - I have only found one supplier to date. But having said that I am in no hurry to get some more given what I have said above.

I thoroughly recommend this item.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 15 May 2014, 19:05:51 BST
G. G. Davies says:
I agree with everything in the first paragraph. I bought one of these because I was utterly fed up with my petrol-driven strimmer with which I spent more time teasing out more line, or repeatedly getting the darned thing to start, than actually trimming anything. The one and only reason I bought this particular model was that I needed something to trim along the walls of my house and other buildings, and I'd hoped that the durablade system would solve my problems. Well, up to a point it did: the metal guard which is meant to protect trees and the like slides back into its housing at the slightest touch, so no joy there; and cutting right up to a wall requires a surgical precision that I didn't expect. And I broke my first durablade within the first hour of use. But maybe I'll master it with practice, and perhaps I'll still revert to my petrol machine to treat the rougher growths that the Bosch, unfortunately, balks at.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 May 2014, 19:47:45 BST
Dr Venn says:
I can see why you would be frustrated at this. The Durablades are very good but they do come off second best in a contest with my wall too. (Though nothing like as quickly as the little white blades on the earlier model). But where we do seem to have a difference is in the metal guard. Mine is rock solid (in fact I've tried to adjust it and I can't get it to move). As it won't move easily - I am sure I could adjust if I really wanted to - I have just left it in place and it truly is solid. So I can stick that against the wall and the blade will be undamaged. It's still not a close a cut as a line strimmer because with that I accept that I am going to use a fair amount of line to get a close cut against the wall.

But it would certainly be worth having another look at that metal guard and if it won't fix solidly in place perhaps take it up with Bosch Sales Support?

In reply to an earlier post on 15 May 2014, 20:30:14 BST
Last edited by the author on 15 May 2014, 20:30:53 BST
G. G. Davies says:
I think I shall have to. I tried jamming matchsticks in the grooves to stop the guard from moving, but that only worked for approximately 3 seconds. Trouble is, also, that the guard, when in place, protrudes a little further than the blade, so on that setting the grass that lies close against the wall wouldn't get zapped. This afternoon I did a better job of it by being *extremely* careful about how close to the wall I held my (unguarded) trimmer, and my second durablade survived the experience with just a small part of its tip missing.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›