5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my needs, 8 April 2011
This review is from: Official Xbox 360 Wired Gamepad - Black (Xbox 360) (Accessory)
As my original white wireless controller had been keeping me going for just over 3 years, it was a bit worse for wear. The main problem was that the sticks would not re-centre, they would just get stuck in their last position. The rechargeable batteries I had been using were also dying so I found that a wired controller would be ideal for my needs.

This controller was a great deal, just £17.99 at the time of my purchase, which would be cheaper than me having to buy a new wireless and batteries or a Play & Charge Kit. With a 2.7m cable, it it more than enough for how far I am going to need. It also comes with a break off point that stops you from pulling the Xbox or PC off the surface it is put on. It uses a standard USB connection.

It features the new shiny Xbox Guide button, and the glossy black panel where the headset connects. However, it still features the standard D-pad, not the twisting one you get with new consoles, but as I have gotten used to how the old one works, it isn't really a problem for me.

An interesting feature that I noticed was that Microsoft have used 6 normal cross-headed screws to hold this controller together, rather than the fiddly Torx screws on my old one. This means that it should be much easier to take apart for cleaning or respraying with a new colour, but I have not tried this yet, so I can't comment on the success of doing this.

In conclusion, a great product that feels well built, solid and does its job well.

UPDATE:
As of 15/06/12 it still works fine, with all games like Gears 3, MW2, Halo Reach, Forza 3, Fallout 3, Geometry Wars 2, Trials Evolution, Assassin's Creed franchise etc. Have also been using it a bit on PC with the Arkham series of Batman games and also with Dirt 3. Although these are all Games for Windows games you would expect the controller to work with them, and it does fine. No additional drivers needed to be installed, game just recognised it and had all the buttons mapped out already. Still 5*

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 12 Apr 2011 16:58:35 BDT
Jonathan says:
Was thinking of getting this, but you said it does not come with an updated d pad, when two other reviewers said it did?!Is it just the luck of the draw, or have they reverted to the old one again?

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Apr 2011 21:34:40 BDT
Well Amazon list this product as being released on 27th August 2010, which is about a month after the new Xbox 360 S was released, so this controller should be the most updated wired controller available. It does have the new glossy panel and the shiny Guide button like the new console controller, but it does not have the D-pad so I'm assuming it's just Microsoft's way of wanting to sell more consoles. As far as I know this is the only other way of getting the new D-pad with an official MS product, but it is wireless.
Xbox 360 Wireless Controller with Play and Charge Kit - Silver (Xbox 360)
I can't say whether or not the other reviewers got a new D-pad, but mine has some oo the new features that wouldn't be on old controllers, so I think that for now, MS are still using old D-pads on wired controllers. Hope this helped.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Apr 2011 11:10:22 BDT
Miss P. says:
Yeah I was also confused by the other 2 reviews which mentioned the new D-pad. Like you, as far as I was aware, the new d-pad only comes with the latest monochrome wireless controller which you linked. There is no mention anywhere on the net about a wired controller with the new d-pad. Also my friend works at GAME and confirmed that their wired controllers use the standard d-pad.

Very odd that those 2 reviews should say that.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Apr 2011 20:46:54 BDT
Yes, it confused me at first, but I found that the d-pad wasn't a key feature of most games I played so it wasn't really important for me. I can only assume that the other reviewers overlooked this aspect of the controller and commented on the updated design instead.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›