5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent screen at an affordable price, 25 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Sony KDL40R483 40-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p Television with Freeview - Black (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When I received this TV for review I wasn't expecting a great deal. After all it's not a smart model, no 3D, and at the lower end of the Sony price range so there must be some picture compromises, right? I'm pleased to say I was wrong. It does all that one could expect of a set at this price range and a lot more.

On unboxing the unit the first thing you notice is how light the panel is. It's slim and even when attached to the stand, a simple screw assembly, easy for just about anyone to move into position. The other thing you notice is how small the bezel is. Certainly no more than a centimeter wide.

At the back it has ample connections for hdmi, scart and usb inputs and connecting up your media box, cable etc is all very straightforward. It has a built in HD freeview tuner so those without SKY or Virgin can enjoy a plethora of standard and HD channels through their aerial socket. The TV will autoscan in the channels and setup is very painless. Picture quality through the aerial seems to be first class.

For those with a Virgin connection it's even easier, simply select which hdmi slot you have it attached to from the input menu button and all your channels are there waiting for you. The set was also easy to set up for control via my virgin remote.

The picture quality is excellent, colours are strong although I found them a little flat until I came across the "vivid" setting on the picture menu. This option transformed the look of the picture. Colours were outstanding, blacks very solid and contrast superb, The 100hz refresh rate, back lit led and Sony's motion tech also makes the picture smooth and devoid of pixellation. It's a joy to watch.

The sound for such a slim television is full with a surprising level of bass. Much better than my previous LG set which was a lot bulkier than the Sony. How they manage this is beyond me. I'm sure a soundbar would improve this further but its really not necessary unless you're looking for serious cinema surround sound.

I thought it's lack of smart feature would be a limiting factor but having read a little more about this it seems it wont suffer from a problem some smart tv users have which is their apps no longer being supported by the producer leaving them useless after a while. My Tivo box has all the apps I need and is regularly updated by my service provider.

One feature I do like is screen mirroring from my mobile devices. It;'s a simple process to synch your phone or tablet to the TV and stream content straight to your screen. It works well. Within minutes of me synching I was able to stream Netflix direct from my phone to the TV and the picture quality was really good. I'll confess I even played a bit of CandyCrush on it. Even on a 40 inch screen it's still fiendish. Although my laptop discovers the television I wasn't able to connect via wifi. I still haven't resolved this although it will connect with a cable easily.

Bearing in mind this is supposed to be a budget offering from Sony it does what it does excellently. Picture and sound quality are superb, connectivity is good and the set up is simple. If you're looking for a good basic television you'd do well to find better than this at the price.

[Add comment]